My kids love these for an afterschool snack. They like to take them to school, too, but I haven't found a way to do this without mess. Quick, easy, and yummy. Here's how I do it:
- Carefully slice the eggs in half lenthwise.
- Put the yolk into a small mixing bowl or food processor.
- Add 1 T Miracle Whip and 2 tsps mustard for 6 egg yolks.
- Add 1 tsp pickle relish.
- If doing this by hand, mash well with a fork. If using a food processor, pulse until blended and creamy.
- Fill each egg half's hollow with the mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika. (The more adventurous might like cayenne. Young kids who didn't get weaned on Tabasco sauce will not.)
Use for sandwiches within three days.
- Dice your eggs, yolk and all.
- Add diced celery (I use one rib for 5-6 eggs)
- Add diced onion (I don't like onion much, so I add about 1/8 cup)
- Add pickle relish (a tablespoon)
- Add mustard (2 teaspoons)
- Add Miracle Whip (1 Tablespoon to start, may need 2)
- Mix. Voila. Egg salad.
Quick Pickled Eggs
You can quickly pickle eggs by using the liquid from canned/jarred beets. Just cover the eggs with the beet juice from canned beets, then let them sit in the fridge overnight or several hours. There you go, quickly pickled eggs.
A couple other options:
- Dice the white and use as a salad topping.
- My daughter, who is vegetarian, adds hard boiled eggs to vegetable soups.
- You can freeze hard boiled eggs to use another day. Simply thaw them in the refrigerator and then use them.