Keeping the house, the kids and the hubby without breaking the bank, the earth, the people I love, or myself.

Dispelling the Barack Obama Myths, Lies, Rumors & Innuendo

The willingness of the American people to believe anything whispered in their ears has always surprised me. It shouldn't. I've been American all my life (we'll not discuss how long that's been.) The American people love a conspiracy. They love to believe they're in on some secret or have some hidden knowledge to which not many people have access. They do not love to check facts, do research, or find their own answers. I do.

I think that a large handful of Americans most fear Barack Obama because he is a man of colour and because he has Muslim sounding names like Barack, Hussein, and Obama. So....let's just get down to the facts:

RUMOUR: Barack Obama is a Muslim who will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
FACT: Barack Obama has never been a Muslim of any sort, radical or otherwise. His biological father was born Muslim but was not a practicing Muslim. His father was atheist or agnostic by the time Barack was born. Barack's early education in Indonesia was in Catholic school and secular public school. The public school was predominantly Muslim because that is the religion of the majority of the population. His religion lessons at this public school were Christian. Obama has been a member of the United Church of Christ since the 1980s, long before he ever entered the world of politics. The statement that he will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance is simply a lie.

Who started these rumours? Insight Magazine, a conservative leaning political magazine formerly owned by Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church. Moon has said that he is the second coming of Christ and that he "appears in the world as the substantial body of God Himself." Moon has always had conservative Republican leanings and ensures that his major media outlets promote those leanings. He also owned the Washington Times. He is also known for his belief that the Holocaust was retribution against the Jews for failing to support Jesus Christ when he was alive. Fox News is the other source of this rumour. Fox News has long been known as a conservative right wing supporting news source, which leaves neutrality in the dust to further its political views. Who debunked these rumours? CNN.

RUMOUR: Barack Obama is the Antichrist.
FACT: Wow. Leave it to the American religious Reich to come up with this one. This one really illustrates how fundamentalist Christians in America use fear and people's ignorance to ally those people to their churches. More allies, more donations, right? Apparently there are viral emails out there stating that Barack Obama meets Revelations' description of the anti-Christ. The book of Revelations contain no descriptions of an anti-Christ. There are lots of very odd beastly monsters described, though I really think it's a stretch to say that Barack Obama resembles a seven-headed, ten-horned sea creature. (Again, wow.) Within the same viral email, the claim is made that Revelations reveals that the Antichrist will be a 40-something Muslim. Interesting, this claim. Especially since the Muslim religion didn't even come into existence until a few hundred years AFTER the book of Revelations was written. And were it true, Barack Obama isn't and never has been a Muslim.

RUMOUR: Barack Obama was sworn in on the Quran.
FACT: This is simply another lie. There is a Minnesota congressman, Keith Ellison, who was sworn in on the Quaran. Barack Obama was sworn into office on his own family bible.

Soon as I hear a few more of these rumours being used as reasons not to vote for Obama, I'll post them and their counters.

Sadly, I really think the root to the average American believing these rumours is based in white Americans' longstanding fear and suspicion of black men. The thought alone depresses me. So many Americans would forgo the hope that this young man can bring to the nation and instead embrace the continued economic degradation dumped upon us by Republican after Republican...just because that hope is not pale.

Sad.

4 comments:

Bonny 2:16 PM  

I think that it's sad that even if Obama was Muslim (which he's not), that would be a legitimate reason not to vote for him. That being said, I just hate all the lies and crap that get spread around during elections. But I guess that it brings out people's true colors. Thanks for this post. I can't be this brave on my blog. (My family is very conservative and I hate debating with my family.)


(Sorry I'm writing so much, I feel like I am stalking you or something.) ;)

CannedAm 3:11 PM  

Bonny you can leave as many comments as you'd like!

I agree, exactly what would be wrong with a Muslim in office? *eyeroll* But I figure I won't argue that one. They're still scared of Jews. *sigh*

My mother has been a lifelong Democrat but will not vote for Obama because "he's a radical muslim who won't solute the flag or say the Pledge of Allegiance." There are numerous videos available online showing Obama repeating the Pledge of Allegiance in the Senate. They really just can't get over the colour issue is what it comes down to. Disgusting really. While she thinks Reverand Moon is a blaspheming insaniac, she'll believe his lies because it fits the reality she'd like to have.

I really wish the average American person would simply think for himself.

Interesting too, I've had hundreds of visits to this post but only one comment. I'm curious what people are not saying. :/ hmmmmmmmm

Gill - That British Woman 6:13 PM  

its going to be an interesting election in the States, which to my mind will affect us all over the world..........just my two cents,

Gill

Coolred38 11:44 PM  

This Anti Christ fella must be a might confused as he comes ago depending on who the Christians are currently focusing their hate on...I thought he was a One Show Man?

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Saving money. Saving graces. Raising children, husbands and, sometimes, cats. Laughing. Living. Thinking. Doing. Life in the Niagara Region of Ontario.

About Me

I am a happily married woman with four children and various cats and kittens (fosters). I love to read and my favourite authors are George RR Martin, Thomas Hardy, Raymond Carver, PD James, Kurt Vonnegut, J. K. Rowling, and Margaret Atwood. I know there are only three women in that list (and none of them American), so if you'd like to suggest some I'm willing to give them a shot! And yes, I am an American living in Canada. (Hence the nick -- CannedAm.) I like it here. There are things about the states that I miss, but my love is here and this country has things to offer that my own does not. Things that make my quality of life much better than it ever was in Ohio. Guess I'm stuck here. Though there's a nice spot in the Appalachian hills where I'd love to spend my retirement.

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP