Keeping the house, the kids and the hubby without breaking the bank, the earth, the people I love, or myself.

Garden Fresh Red Salsa

Another 'what to do with my harvest' post... (this is only some of the harvest. We had two more large metal bowls full of peppers and Roma tomatoes that I didn't get a picture of)



Ingredients:

  • 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced
  • 1/4 cup onion chopped coarsely
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano or 3/4 teaspoon fresh diced Oregano
  • 1 tablespoon Jalepeno Pepper chopped coarsely (use a sweet pepper if you don't like hot & spicy foods)
  • 3/4 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro (might be called coriander leaves in your locale)
  1. Chop the tomatoes and Onion, blend them well
  2. Add all the other ingredients, blending well. Let stand for 1 hour before serving so that the flavours can combine. Can be served at room temperature or chilled. This recipe makes about 2 1/4 cups.
  3. BE CAREFUL when chopping your hot peppers! Wear gloves if your skin is sensitive to the oils in hot peppers and pay attention that there are no littles around waiting to snatch pepper pieces!

Yes, my little one did, the poor guy! He thought they were sweet peppers and grabbed & gobbled one before we could stop him. Milk -- lots of milk. Then he had some cheese. That seemed to do the trick. For grownups -- beer works very well to dissolve that pepper oil that burns so much!

So that's the straight recipe. We used 2 Cherry Bomb Peppers, 5 mini bell peppers (sweet, not hot), 1 habanero, 4 jalepenos, 4 hungarian wax (banana) peppers, 2 medium-small-sized onions, and 8 roma tomatoes as well as a handful of incredibly sweet and delicious cherry tomatoes. We have hot peppers and we're not afraid to use them! Here's our finished salsa (two quarts):


And here's what we did with it for dinner:


Grilled chicken breast, cubed, shredded cheddar cheese, LOTS of salsa and plain yogurt for me, sour cream for the rest of them! It was very good. Not very hot. We left no seeds in from the peppers.

1 comments:

Gill - That British Woman 8:43 PM  

looks good, but we're not salsa people in this house.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Saving money. Saving graces. Raising children, husbands and, sometimes, cats. Laughing. Living. Thinking. Doing. Life in the Niagara Region of Ontario.

About Me

I am a happily married woman with four children and various cats and kittens (fosters). I love to read and my favourite authors are George RR Martin, Thomas Hardy, Raymond Carver, PD James, Kurt Vonnegut, J. K. Rowling, and Margaret Atwood. I know there are only three women in that list (and none of them American), so if you'd like to suggest some I'm willing to give them a shot! And yes, I am an American living in Canada. (Hence the nick -- CannedAm.) I like it here. There are things about the states that I miss, but my love is here and this country has things to offer that my own does not. Things that make my quality of life much better than it ever was in Ohio. Guess I'm stuck here. Though there's a nice spot in the Appalachian hills where I'd love to spend my retirement.

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP