- 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup onion chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano or 3/4 teaspoon fresh diced Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Jalepeno Pepper chopped coarsely (use a sweet pepper if you don't like hot & spicy foods)
- 3/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro (might be called coriander leaves in your locale)
- Chop the tomatoes and Onion, blend them well
- Add all the other ingredients, blending well. Let stand for 1 hour before serving so that the flavours can combine. Can be served at room temperature or chilled. This recipe makes about 2 1/4 cups.
- BE CAREFUL when chopping your hot peppers! Wear gloves if your skin is sensitive to the oils in hot peppers and pay attention that there are no littles around waiting to snatch pepper pieces!
So that's the straight recipe. We used 2 Cherry Bomb Peppers, 5 mini bell peppers (sweet, not hot), 1 habanero, 4 jalepenos, 4 hungarian wax (banana) peppers, 2 medium-small-sized onions, and 8 roma tomatoes as well as a handful of incredibly sweet and delicious cherry tomatoes. We have hot peppers and we're not afraid to use them! Here's our finished salsa (two quarts):
And here's what we did with it for dinner:
Grilled chicken breast, cubed, shredded cheddar cheese, LOTS of salsa and plain yogurt for me, sour cream for the rest of them! It was very good. Not very hot. We left no seeds in from the peppers.