With the recent Listeria outbreak here in cold luncheon meats, we're all trying to come up with lunch meat free lunch ideas. Even though all the offending products have been removed from store shelves, my confidence has certainly been shaken and I do not want to use lunch meats anytime soon. I think it will be a long, long while before I purchase any again (even though our usual brand isn't manufactured by the company that made the contaminated meat.)
I pack my kids' and husband's lunches every day. Lunchmeat always made things easy, but I never depended solely on them. Now I simply won't use them.
Lunch Entrées :
- Egg salad sandwiches
- Tuna Salad sandwiches (For either of these I use a food processor to make them and it makes it so quick and easy. They're also of a more spreadable consistency which makes them last longer and makes them easier to use.)
- Cream cheese (and jam if wanted) sandwiches, my son prefers plain cream cheese.
- Bagels with cream cheese
- Homemade ham cut in cubes along with some cubed cheese
- Leftover chicken or turkey sandwiches
- Pita pockets filled with salad fixings and topped with leftover meat (chicken, turkey, ham). I pack salad dressing in a small container and they can add it at lunch time.
- Tatziki spread on whole grain bread with cucumbers and sliced tomatoes. My daughter adds the sliced tomatoes at lunchtime. I pack them in a bowl separate from the sandwich.
- Cereal and milk (though they don't get this for breakfast if they have it for lunch.)
- Pasta salad with everything in it (meat, veggies, cheese, the works)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Single-serve yogurts
- Single-serve puddings
- Jello (sometimes with fruit)
- crackers of any kind
- carrot sticks (or celery sticks, cucumber slices, etc) with ranch dressing in a small container
- baby carrots
- string cheese cheese
- the occasional cookies (maybe once a month)
- the occasional single size bag of chips (less than once a month)
- pasta salad that's just pasta and dressing
What alternatives have you come up with for lunchmeat free lunches?